Truth be told, I was secretly hoping this year’s Met Gala theme would be “Hangry Mermaids: The Art of Sparkles.” Fierce and glittery, that’s how I like my celebs dressed. That was, however, not the theme. Anna Wintour went with a much more straightforward idea and decided to celebrate female design icon Rei Kawakubo, naming the evening Rei Kawakubo/Comme des Garçons: Art of the In-Between.
Awesomeness continues after advertisement
Question for you fashion nerds, is the “art of the in-between” similar to Stranger Things’ land of The Upside Down? Asking for a friend. Either way, whether you’re a fashion lover or just love eyeing sparkly pieces of art, our favorite celebrities slayed the red carpet. Here are our favorite looks:
1. Selena Gomez dressed by Coach. PS: The Weeknd and her were ALL about the PDA last night. She even whispered “I love you” to him on the red carpet.
Awesomeness continues after advertisement>
2. Kendall Jenner is La Perla.
3. Emma Roberts in DVF.
4. Kylie Jenner in Versace.
5. Zoe Kravitz in Oscar de la Renta. THOSE ARE REAL ROSES.
@zoeisabellakravitz wearing @oscardelarenta on the #MetGala red carpet. Officially, it’s the Metropolitan Museum of Art Costume Institute benefit, a fundraiser for the @metcostumeinstitute. Unofficially, it’s “the party of the year,” “the Oscars of the East Coast” and “an ATM for the Met.” The photographer @benjaminnorman has been capturing some of the night’s best looks. Visit the link in our profile to see even more. #MetGala2017 #zoekravitz 🎆
6. Hailee Steinfeld wearing Vera Wang.
7. Zendaya wearing Dolce & Gabbana.
8. Rihanna wearing Comme des Garçons.
9. Bella Hadid wearing Alexander Wang (PS: This is EXACTLY what you wear to an event that your ex and his new famous girlfriend will be attending.)
10. Gigi Hadid wearing Tommy Hilfiger.
11. And last, but certainly not least, Lena Dunham wearing Commes Des Garçons and photobombing like the lady she is.
Thank you, Elizabeth Kennedy, for making me feel so embodied in this sensual tablecloth of a gown. Commes Des Garçons has always been for the creature who dares to be different, who needs clothing to be more than a way to telegraph wealth or culturally imposed super-sexuality. Now THAT is a theme I can get behind. Much love to @voguemagazine for bringing so much power and passion to the Met, which has always been church to me. It's easy to forget amidst the glitz just how much good this night does, raising millions to preserve essential artifacts and making sure style really is for everyone. ❤️ Can I get an amen?
I’m currently desperately trying not to mention that Taylor Swift wasn’t there. Whoops. I just did. But where are you!? And what will your grand entrance back into this beautiful little paparazzi-filled world look like?
Feature Image Source