I know, I know, we thought we knew everything about this movie too, but after some serious Mean Girls research, we found some stellar gems we bet you didn’t know. They’re so good, you could even call them…wait for it… totally fetch! So buckle up, and enjoy the ride.
Awesomeness continues after advertisement
Lindsay originally auditioned for the role of Queen Bee Regina George, and she REALLY wanted the role. However, the director, Mark Waters, felt she was better suited for the protagonist Cady.
Awesomeness continues after advertisement>
It’s true! Our favorite Notebook star originally auditioned for Cady. She even wondered what lucky girl would get to play the fun part of Regina.
3. Mean Girls is based on the viral self-help book Queen Bees and Wannabes: Helping Your Daughter Survive Cliques, Gossip, Boyfriends, and Other Realities of Adolescence by Rosalind Wiseman.
Every mom was reading this New York Times Bestseller in 2002. Every. Mom. Who knew it would be adapted into one of the biggest pop culture movies ever…
4. There was a secret message on the blackboard.
Did you ever notice that under the list of elements on this chalkboard it says “silicone,” not “silicon”? The extra added “e” is surely a nod to the Plastics and we love this sneaky addition.
5. Lindsay Lohan’s character is named after the American Women’s Rights hero Elizabeth Cady Stanton
Tina Fey, you sly feminist you…
6. The “Jingle Bell Rock” skirts were made out of plastic in reference to the clique’s name: The plastics.
Remember the sounds those skirts made? Ick!
7. There was a scene that was cut from the script where Damian auditioned for American Idol after he graduated from high school.
Unfortunately, the scene was never shot. Maybe there is such a thing as regrets…
8. Ashley Tisdale auditioned for the role of Karen Smith.
Here’s what Mean Girls would have looked like with the High School Musical star:
9. The ages don’t match up.
While filming, Rachel McAdams was 26. This means she was eight years older that Lohan (a classmate) and seven years younger than Amy Poehler (her mother).
10. Tim Meadow’s carpel tunnel was actually written into the script after he broke his hand before filming.
We can’t imagine him without the lame ailment.
11. Regina George’s gorgeous flowing blond hair was actually a wig.
Now that we think about it, it was awfully wig-like… Like REALLY wig-like.
12. Tina cast Jonathan as Aaron because “he looked like Jimmy Fallon.”
You’ve got great taste in men, Tina.
13. James Franco was supposed to play Aaron Samuels.
We’d total be okay with this casting. Here’s what it’d look like:
14. The movie was filmed in Canada…
Even though it was set in Evanston, Illinois.
15. There’s a Mean Girls video game.
We’re not kidding. How did we not know about this?
Feature Source Image
Gif Source: Giphy