Awesomeness continues after advertisement
“Back To School” might be the most dreaded three words we hear at the end of summer. But the silver lining of heading back is the opportunity for a fresh new start. We can finally get those straight A’s we aim for each year, work up the nerves to go talk to our crush (or at least smile their way….baby steps), and have the best back to school wardrobe to up our style game.
Of course, sometimes reality is a bit different than the scenarios we plan in our heads. Here are some back to school expectations versus realities that we’ve all experienced.
1. Expectation: The first week back is going to be a breeze.
Awesomeness continues after advertisement>
Reality: Your teachers pile on the work and you already have a test next week.
2. Expectation: You’re besties will be in every single one of your classes and you’ll never have to worry about who to sit with at lunch.
Reality: You don’t know anyone in your classes and you don’t even have one person to talk to at lunch.
3. Expectation: They school said they were updating the school lunch menu, meaning tons of delish options.
Reality: Literally nothing on the menu has changed and as always the safest option is PB&J.
4. Expectation: You are going to be a lot more organized this year, meaning all of your folders will be labeled and you won’t let your locker end up cluttered with stacks of paper.
Reality: You can easily mistake the inside of your locker with a garbage can. Also, is that the sock you’ve been looking for since last week’s gym class?
5. Expectation: You’e been waiting all summer to see your crush and have them finally notice your newfound confidence and fresh tan. They might even be the one to approach you first.
Reality: You finally get the guts to approach your crush, but when you do, it seems that no words are about to come out of your mouth and you’re unable to form a complete sentence. You run to the bathroom and try to hide from everyone because that moment was literally so awkward.
6. Expectation: You are going to get straight As in all your classes, pass those AP exams, and even find time to join a new extracurricular activity!
Reality: Wait, what? An 65 on your first Chemistry test? Okay, didn’t see that one coming.
7. Expectation: Procrastination is about to become a thing of the past. Not only that, but you’re going to get your work done early and have everything submitted in advance. Long gone are the days of having a mental breakdown at 3am because you spent all night binging PLL and haven’t started that Biology project.
Reality: Old habits die hard might have some truth to it. Your small mental break from your homework turned into an six hour Netflix binge. Get ready to pull another all-nighter.