Between school, homework, chores, extracurricular activities and hanging out with your friends, you’re probably left with zero time to chill and take care of YOU. But making the time to take care of yourself — otherwise known as self-care — is super important to your mental, emotional and physical health.
Awesomeness continues after advertisement
A regular practice of self-care will do wonders for those high stress and anxiety moments when you don’t know how to deal, and/or you just want to hide underneath the covers and shut the world out. The best part about self-care is that it’s not only really easy to do, but it doesn’t have to cost anything either. All you have to do is set aside some time for yourself each day and allow yourself to feel awesome!
Below are 20 (!!) free ways to practice self-care for your mind, body and soul. Make the time to do one at least everyday. Enjoy!
Awesomeness continues after advertisement>
1. Watch a favorite movie — preferably one that makes you LOL.
2. Take a bubble bath (add essential oils like lavender for total relaxation).
3. Go for a walk or jog around your block (endorphins are awesome ways to make us feel instantly good).
4. Make a vision board of the goals you’d like to achieve this year.
5. Listen to your fave uplifting music (maybe create a playlist entitled “Self Care”) and dance around your bedroom.
6. Make a cup of tea (or your favorite hot beverage) and read a book.
7. Write in your journal.
8. Stretch for 15 minutes (YouTube has tons of awesome yoga and stretching videos to watch for motivation and guidance).
9. Nature is known for its healing abilities, so go to your local park and watch Mother Nature work her magic.
10. Play a board game with your family or best friend (honestly, when was the last time you played? Yeah, it’s about time you did).
11. Spend time with your pets. Cuddles, kisses, and walks are allllll good — and much appreciated.
12. Call a friend. Not text or Snap. Actually call her.
13. Take a nap! (We know we don’t have to ask you twice.)
14. Take five deeeeeep breaths.
15. Paint a picture or draw. If you’re better with words, write a short story.
16. Volunteer at a local community animal shelter or soup kitchen.
17. Daydream. It’s totally okay to daydream on your own time because that’s when inspiration strikes. And don’t forget to dream big, friend!
18. Wrap yourself in a soft blanket and give yourself a giant bear hug. Awww.
19. Clean out your closet. A cluttered space often leads to a cluttered mind so be free!
20. Turn off your phone for 60 minutes. Just be. You’ll thank us!
A regular practice of these self-care activities will help remind you that your needs and well-being are verrrryyyy important. When you take the time to take care of YOU, yucky feelings of stress and worry will instantly be replaced with yummy feelings of calm and zen-like vibes. So what are you waiting for? Treat yo self!