Oprah got it right in her 2018 Golden Globes speech: “What I know for sure is that speaking your truth is the most powerful tool we all have.”
Awesomeness continues after advertisement
But you don’t need to tell that to these men and women who bravely waded through their fear when they decided to come out to their friends and family.
The phenomenal humans in this article were all linked by the same anxiety: Will people think of me differently when I reveal the truth about my sexuality? Will they meet me with hate? Or maybe, could they possibly great me with acceptance and love?
This is the question that was left unanswered as they revealed themselves to the world. What they didn’t know is that the responses to their coming outs would truly show the power of human empathy and compassion.
Awesomeness continues after advertisement>
Here are seven people who chose love instead of hate, and we couldn’t be more grateful for them.
1. This teacher who was honored to be a witness to their student’s freedom:
2. This mom who didn’t see her son as different (especially when it came to chores):
3. This dad who showed his son his unconditional love:
4. This grandmother who had the sweetest question when her grandson came out as trans:
5. This boss who let his gay pride fly:
Here’s the backstory: “I came out to some of my coworkers yesterday; response was not great. I think my boss overheard because this was out when I came to work this morning.”
6. This father who found hope through his son’s truth:
7. And this little bro who said all the right things:
Here’s the backstory: “Finally came out to 17-year-old prep school jock little brother…his response made me tear up.”
P.S. Just a little note: For those of you who are too scared to share a part of yourself with the world that you’ve kept hidden, we hope this gives you a little hope to hold onto.