For the first time ever, I sat through the whole Oscars from start to finish. I mean, like the WHOLE thing — even the less popular awards. Why? THAT much was going on. Yes, there was a lot of drama with the whole Warren Beatty mix up, but what truly stood out last night was the strides The Academy took in recognizing the achievements of the films with previously marginalized subject matters and actors. Last night was truly a step forward for diversity at the Oscars.
Awesomeness continues after advertisement
So let’s jump right in. Here are the greatest Oscar moments from 2017:
1. Moonlight becomes the first ever LGBTQ film to win Best Picture.
Awesomeness continues after advertisement>
2. But only after the greatest Oscar mix up of ALL time.
It was the awkward moment heard around the world. Let’s be clear though, this was NOT my beloved Warren Beatty’s fault.
3. Viola Davis becomes the first black woman to win an Oscar, Emmy and Tony for acting.
And her speech brought us to tears.
4. Emmy Stone wins her first Oscar, but this hug made the moment ever better.
5. Mahershala Ali becomes the first Muslim actor to win an Oscar.
6. The sixteen-year-old Auli’i Cravalho slayed like Beyonce (even though she was hit in the head by a blue wave).
7. Jimmy Kimmel killed it and was responsible for this Ryan Gosling meme.
Jimmy Kimmel delighted us throughout the night, but our favorite moment was when he herded some non-celebrities into the Dolby Theater. And this Ryan Gosling meme that was born from the moment? Well, memes don’t get better than this.
8. Justin Timberlake danced with his wife Jessica Biel.
9. Emma Stone went over to hug her ex, Andrew Garfield, after her win.
This is a shot from right after the alleged hug.
10. The flying candy!
Here’s dear Gosling eyeing some Junior Mints:
Feature Image Source